Contact Us

decorative
Photo by Jeremy Thomas on Unsplash

COMMUNICATION

Melba D’Souza

RN, CMSN, BScN, MScN, MPhilN, PhD
Assistant Professor, 
Chappell Family for Nursing and Population Health, School of Nursing, 
Thompson Rivers University, 805 TRU Way, 
Kamloops V2C 0C8, British Columbia Canada 
Email: cancercareinitiatives@gmail.com

https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=TTiZ8ecAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate

I am living and committed to improving my professional practices on Tk’emlúps (tehKEM-loops) te Secwépemc (sec-WEP-m) (Kamloops campus)  within Secwépemc’ulucw (sec-WEP-m-ulu). I am thankful for the ability to live, work, and gather on this traditional Land and unceded territory of the Secwépemc (sec-WEP-m) people. This Land is a gathering place for nations of the Stat’imc (STAT-lee-UM), Nlaka’pamux (ING-la-cap-em), Nuxalk (NEW-hawk), Tsilhqot’in (sill-ko-TEEN), Dakelh (DAH-kell) and Syilx peoples whose histories, languages, and cultures continue to positively influence me. As I learn and grow in my relationship to the Peoples of the Land, my relationship to the people, and physical presence of this space, through the scholarship journey to make efforts towards continued improvement and advocacy for better care and outcome

BIOGRAPHY

My research work involves access to healthcare and health equity, health promotion behaviours and self-management, patient engagement in care through an equity-oriented lens in chronic illness and cancer. My work is focused on applying self-determination and meaningful experiences in nurturing, caring and healing for clients and caregivers through fostering partnership for co-creating a foundation in comprehensive cancer care. My scholarship of research encompasses the Community Engagement and Knowledge Translation Summit on Emotional Wellness and Navigation Services for Cancer Survivors and Caregivers. I have conducted a Systematic Review on Breast Cancer Survivorship and Support for Immigrant Women with Breast Cancer and the Financial Burden and Outcomes of Existing Oncological Care in Kamloops B.C. and Alternative Prophylactic Patient Engagement and Care Examination. A Breast Cancer Case Study. I have supported the co-creation of Indigenous Wellness Support Networks by and for Indigenous Health Care Professionals in Interior BC as a key research team member. I am working on a Participatory Indigenous Nursing Knowledge Translation Project: Co-Creating Indigenous Wellness Support Networks by and For Indigenous Healthcare Professionals in Interior British Columbia as a co-applicant. I am a principal applicant on Reclaiming and Recovering Indigenous Knowledge in Graduate Nursing: Intergenerational Learning with Communities.

Privacy Policy and Terms of Agreement